Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We're Definitely Not In Kansas Anymore...

I've been telling people for a long time that I'm going to write a blog about my new experiences, and yay, I'm finally doing it! The last couple months have been a whirlwind - I've moved across the country (driving almost 40 hours) with barely anything (see picture), started a new job in Corporate Communications, and now I'm trying to settle in and get to actually know my surroundings, make friends, and get connected. Anyone who knows me knows I don't sugar coat anything, so to say that everything has been as smooth as butter would obviously be an exaggeration. Growing up in CA has made me spoiled (I definitely won't lie about that), so all the new things I'm experiencing are shocking, humbling, and have allowed me to mature in ways I never thought needed growth.

I can truly say that Andrew has made it easier and FUNNIER than ever. We have a joke now that anytime he sees me being prissy, he says, "Chill out on the California Convertino." It's been very comical so far and I will be sharing many of these stories. One major thing that Andrew forgot to mention before I came here was that April and May are tornado season, and it just so happens that I came at a time where this area is enduring some of its worst weather seen in years. hmmmm-funny I never was told this. So far, I've been through four warnings (this comes through sirens going off all across the county) and I believe two or three tornadoes have come close but not actually hit ground (Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong about any of my stats). One night his sister and I (along with her 4 month old baby) sat in the hall near the bathroom for hours just waiting for it to pass. Other times I've been at work and had to gather at certain points of the building. Needless to say, I hate it and want them to go away. As I write this, there's another warning going out today-scary stuff. Continue to pray for those you have actually been hit and are trying to rebuild their lives, and pray that this would be the end of any tornadoes causing destruction.

In my next couple posts, I'll fill you in on a few other things that have been going on since I moved and some fun things we have coming up.

3 comments:

  1. Katie, your first post was very captivating! I'm subscribing to your blog right after I leave this awesome comment. I hope your hair didn't get all messed up in the tornados! ~Ryan C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm ... Ryan?

    Anyway Ms. Katie! Miss and love you. Signed up to follow your blog, but no time to put my picture up now. Appreciate your way with words gurl. Any who, we mentioned your name at least 10 times this week in the office. In fact Tuesday I laughed so loud that I followed it up with, "I'm channeling Katie!" I got instant applauds. Give a howdy to honey-bunny. Love you!

    ReplyDelete